Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Philosophy Of Hip Hop In Its True Form

When I say Hip Hop I do not mean music that was quite possibly played at the class prom of 09. No one has ever sneaked up on an unsuspecting girl to grind on or “crank”ed anything to my music; nor have they ever been persuaded by a false role model to drink lean mean Promethazine and overdose immediately following. The beats that enter my brain educate, tell a story, and let me step into the Nike SB’s of the creator. That very beat will allow me to escape for five minutes whatever troubles I may be having in my life; to dream into the future using another’s words as the narrative and the beat as the theme song of my dream. Mind tingling sounds mixed in a pot with baking soda and words comes out as audio crack; forever urging me to take one more hit. It is this song that provokes motivation and hope in myself. These are beats that take up my nights to find, these beats best describe my philosophy of hip hop.
I tell myself I’ll fall asleep at 10pm, It’s hard to wake up for work in the morning if I don’t. Three remarkably fast hours slip by unnoticed, I look at the clock its 1:15Am, I still haven’t found that one beat, the one I need, “tha great white buffalo”. I’ve been swallowed up lately by a temporary sea of darkness that is my unhappy life, I need to find this beat. I make more excuses “I’ll just find this song and then go to sleep happy having escaped my thoughts long enough to find a state of tranquility”. Sitting wide awake, 2:00AM now, hopping from song to song in tha YouTube style, looking for that one song that will make all my problems disappear for a tiny fraction of my life; I guess this is what separates me from the millions of mainstream zombies who would prefer grinding up on rando strangers in a club to soulja boy(I don’t even have enough respect for him to capitalize his name) as they get sloppy drunk and make fools of themselves(that’s how they escape their problems). I’m branching off now with every side click, getting side tracked into other genres of hip hop, Idk how I ended up in French rap, nice beats but I need to understand right now, I need to get into another person’s head for a min. I back track to the songs of my much loved artists, but I’ve heard it all, I need something new. Now 3:00am, “I’ve gone this far I might as well go till I find it, at this point I’m going to be tired as shit in the morning regards” what’s good without a little sacrifice right? My specialty is finding remixes produced by people who understand my need to hear a beautiful sound mated with the lyrics of a teacher, a preacher, and a lyrical god. That is what I strive to find right now. As im pushin, shovin, beatin 3:30AM, my eyes droop and redden, my body and mind is ready for the rest so forcefully denied in this early yet late hour of the night and morning. Then….. it happens I catch up with that dragon with a click of the mouse,instant gratification from the long haul of chasing him down. I instantly lay back and close my eyes,im laying on the beach, corona in hand, my fine dime by my side. This is a place where my bank account is fruitful and resides at the back of my mind, a place where I need not an alarm clock, A place where the only nagging I hear is from the exhaust of my M3 bursting with power. I’ve just listened to Tor / Sufjan Stevens - Star of Wonder / None Shall Pass (f. Aesop Rock) (remix) ///// Diz Gibran -Impossible, MED - Can't Hold On, Mr. Mainstream by Unknown prophets
That is my lullaby for tonight, the tune finally found that has filled me with hope and inspiration to keep on going with life and amount to something so that one day I will lay on that beach with a fine dime and listen to that very song for real.
And that my friend’s is my philosophy of Hip Hop and what it does for the soul, the brain, and the heart when I find it in its true form. I will return to this post every week and add a new song that I’ve just spent my hours of the night finding, but now it is time for sleep because its back on my grind at 7:00AM.

2 comments:

  1. Awsome man. I'll check back in a while to see what you dig out of the (s)Crap-yard of Youtube. Btw: I hope you made it through the day allright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete